Clifton Railway Station
- Hits: 4297
Situated 50kms from Toowoomba or Warwick, is the second oldest working station in Queensland – Grandchester being the first. In 1869 the Southern Line to Clifton was declared open by Gov. Blackall, thus allowing settlement on the fertile Darling Downs.
1928/9 Clifton was called the “Million Bushels of Wheat District”. This wheat harvest produced one million bushels in this season – unheard of, a record!!! All of this grain was despatched from Clifton station.
Come 1957 the rail site had a telephone connection, weighbridges, cattle, sheep and pig yards; 5 grain sheds, signal cabin, overhead bridge; cranes; shelter/cream/goods shed; with loops to the flour mill, butter factory, fuel depot, trucking yards, grain sheds.
A busy place. Passenger trains ceased 1972, the station closing to goods in 1998. Marked for demolition, the station, in 2012 has been rejuvenated by local volunteers to become a Visitors Information Centre and is No.1 on Clifton’s Heritage Walk. Some people of note who have walked the platform include – Duke of York (later King George VI), Alfred Deakin, (later PM of Aust.), Richard Chamberlain, Archbishops Dunne & Duhig, Sister Elizabeth Kenny , Duke of Windsor, Dame Nellie Melba.
1910 – The Sydney mail train arrives at Clifton.